Thursday 24 October 2013

Twiddle Muff

Hello friends

Hope you are having a lovely day today. The sun is suppose to shine all day today, Yeah can get loads of washing dry outside.

Here's the Twiddle Muff I've been making for my mum for Christmas. You can buy them over the internet but at £38 I thought they were a bit expensive and there's not a lot to twiddle. This has not cost me anything to make because everything came out of my stash.
I got the basic pattern from here and then made up my own twiddles. I wanted to be visually appealing so I used lots of colour and different textures and dangly bits. My idea was that there would be too much to take in all at once so new discoveries would be made each time it was picked up.


I started off embroidering a small piece of fabric with a flower and then another piece with mum on it, stitched them together to form a pocket and then added some polystyrene beads, closed the
 pocket and stitched it in place. I'm not that good at embroidery and I think I should have used long and short stitch. I did try it by it was very untidy so I stuck to satin stitch.  I already had some crocheted flowers made up so added them. I made some felt hearts and embellished them with pretty buttons and bows then attached them to a pale green ribbon so that they would dangle and look pretty. I had more of this ribbon and decided to cut it into four strips and added some clear coloured beads. Now they can be plaited or the beads moved up and down into different positions. I've also added other dangly bits to provide visual interest as well.
Twiddle Muffs are suppose to give the dementia patients something to focus on, keep their fingers mobile and keep them calm. I don't know if it will help mum in anyway as she doesn't sit down long enough. Can only try. I did enjoy making the muff as it was something different.

Whilst I was doing the embroidery L was sat next to me watching and said the she would like to have a go too. I asked her if she minded waiting until I had finished my pieces and then she could have the small embroidery ring. She agreed and whilst waiting she selected a picture, traced it, enlarged it on the printer/photocopier and then transferred it onto a piece of white cotton I found for her and selected the right colour of thread (it had to be the right red) and this is the result. I used another piece of white cotton on the back to hide the stitching and trimmed off the excess. It's now ready to hang in her room with the rest of her 1Direction collection.
My next project is a Harry Potter scarf for my 11 year old nephew S. Unfortunately I had to buy the yarn because I didn't have the right colours in my stash.

My blanket (from my last post) goes to its new owners next weekend. I do hope they like it.

Best get on now whilst the sun is still shinning. I look forward to reading your comment soon.

Have a good week. Half term for us next week.

Carolx




13 comments:

  1. I didn't know what a 'twiddle muff' was ..thanks for that!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jane, the 'twiddle Muff' was new to me to. What a brilliant concept - simple and yet such a comfort - I am sure your Mum will be greatly blessed when she receives hers. It was truly made with love in every stitch xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I must tell my friend who's Mum has early onset dementia.

    Have a good evening

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison. On the internet there are also pillows/cushions and lap blankets with twiddles on, it might be worth a look to get ideas.
      Carolx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift for your Mum. I hadn't heard of a twiddle muff either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scarlet. I came across the idea on twitter from the Alzheimer's Society and saw the report from Warrington hospital and the did some research before embarking this project, before that I hadn't heard of them either.
      Carolx
      Carolx

      Delete
  5. Hi Carol. Thank you for posting on my blog. Your description of the twiddle muff is aptly describes some of my better scrapbook layouts. Too much to notice all at once, because of the volume of elements. There are many new bits to discover if you have the time to observe.

    I am intrigued by this twiddle muff and it's origins. (my grandmum had Alzheimer's) Wondering if you could use bits and bobs from the person's life? Incorporate photos printed on fabric? Resource from their personal items? Would it help them with recognizing their history? And then I think, what if they get agitated that you cut a piece out of their old favorite sweater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using bits and bobs from a persons life would be great for triggering memories that can be chatted about. Some muffs are designed with a pocket to keep precious items in like photos or a small teddy. It would be a good idea to attached them in someway so that they don't get lost or mislaid. I tried to do a memory box but couldn't find the right items, however I have made up a photo album of our family. Next I want to do one of our holidays from when my brother and I were small onwards.
      Carolx

      Delete
  6. I think it's lovely and I think I you've done a good job of the embroidery. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely Twiddle muff you made for your mother sure sheenjoyed it. I made one for my sister for Christmas 2016 when I first saw them and now weeks later they seem to be everywhere. I have been going to an Art Hive in my community and yesterday we talked about making hat, scarves, mitt and other items for needy causes with some of the donated yarn the Hive has been given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I made this one some of my friends at the craft club I go to have now made and distribute around 200 and there are many more people making them in my area. But they do make such a difference to the patient and carer
      Carolx

      Delete

Farewell

I've taken some time to think this through and decided to stop blogging. I'm not getting out of it as much as I did when I first sta...