Hope you are having a lovely day today. The sun is suppose to shine all day today, Yeah can get loads of washing dry outside.
Here's the Twiddle Muff I've been making for my mum for Christmas. You can buy them over the internet but at £38 I thought they were a bit expensive and there's not a lot to twiddle. This has not cost me anything to make because everything came out of my stash.
I got the basic pattern from here and then made up my own twiddles. I wanted to be visually appealing so I used lots of colour and different textures and dangly bits. My idea was that there would be too much to take in all at once so new discoveries would be made each time it was picked up.
I started off embroidering a small piece of fabric with a flower and then another piece with mum on it, stitched them together to form a pocket and then added some polystyrene beads, closed the
pocket and stitched it in place. I'm not that good at embroidery and I think I should have used long and short stitch. I did try it by it was very untidy so I stuck to satin stitch. I already had some crocheted flowers made up so added them. I made some felt hearts and embellished them with pretty buttons and bows then attached them to a pale green ribbon so that they would dangle and look pretty. I had more of this ribbon and decided to cut it into four strips and added some clear coloured beads. Now they can be plaited or the beads moved up and down into different positions. I've also added other dangly bits to provide visual interest as well.
Twiddle Muffs are suppose to give the dementia patients something to focus on, keep their fingers mobile and keep them calm. I don't know if it will help mum in anyway as she doesn't sit down long enough. Can only try. I did enjoy making the muff as it was something different.
Whilst I was doing the embroidery L was sat next to me watching and said the she would like to have a go too. I asked her if she minded waiting until I had finished my pieces and then she could have the small embroidery ring. She agreed and whilst waiting she selected a picture, traced it, enlarged it on the printer/photocopier and then transferred it onto a piece of white cotton I found for her and selected the right colour of thread (it had to be the right red) and this is the result. I used another piece of white cotton on the back to hide the stitching and trimmed off the excess. It's now ready to hang in her room with the rest of her 1Direction collection.
My next project is a Harry Potter scarf for my 11 year old nephew S. Unfortunately I had to buy the yarn because I didn't have the right colours in my stash.
My blanket (from my last post) goes to its new owners next weekend. I do hope they like it.
Best get on now whilst the sun is still shinning. I look forward to reading your comment soon.
Have a good week. Half term for us next week.