Sunday 28 September 2014

Hello friends

Hope everyone is well.

The weather in my little corner of the world has be lovely again this week with lots of warm sunshine however the evenings have been quite a bit cooler. We've not lit the fire yet neither have we changed to the winter duvets. I feel that they will be coming out soon though. Anyone else not changed to their winter duvets yet?

Yesterday we went to the local college open day and took L's friend, S, with us. It's so very different from when I went there mm many years ago.

L and S have just gone into year 10 and although they don't need to make any decisions about higher education yet we all thought it would be a good idea to have a look around and see the different things that were on offer. It was decided that we didn't want to look around the construction or engineering departments so first stop was the catering. The girls had a go at cooking a stir fry with egg fried rice and then we got to taste it. Very nice even L liked it.  The students in this class were all adults who had decided to retrain for new careers. Next class was cake decorating and the girls got to decorate a cup cake each and eat it. Next up was the bread making where they got to play with dead dough and mould it into different shapes similar to what was on display.

We had a glance at  hair and beauty but neither of the girls were interested and then we had a quick look at health and social. Neither fancied that one either.

We then decided to drive up to another part of the college in a different part of town  which houses the Arts and Design and also the University department that's linked to Lancaster uni. Here L found it more interesting as we went to the photography department and had a good look round and I asked lots of questions. Photography is L's chosen career path. S said that she fancied doing languages so we made enquiries and it turns out that the college doesn't do them but we did find out that the local sixth form does - need to find out when their open day is.

We feel it was a very successful day and will probably do it all again next year when decisions have to be made.

Anyone else been tempted to return to college/education? anyone looking a higher education with their children/grandchildren?

Carolx

4 comments:

  1. I returned to education at 40. I went to my local college for a year and did an Access course. I went to uni the following year, which coincided with K starting uni and KL starting high school - it was a bit of a busy September that year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done to you Scarlet. I was thinking of retraining in something in readiness for returning to work after helping to care for mum. But I'm not sure what to do that would be useful.
      Carolx

      Delete
  2. I find I'm learning everyday at home by just pursuing my hobbies - great for stretching the mind and exercising the body.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning new hobbies sounds like my kind of fun. I wonder if I can get a job in a craft shop when the times comes.
      Carolx

      Delete

Farewell

I've taken some time to think this through and decided to stop blogging. I'm not getting out of it as much as I did when I first sta...